Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Teaching again

Last week I began teaching Beginner's Beadweaving classes at The Sydney Jewellery School, Rosebery, NSW. (also known as The Eclectic Studio).
It is a one night a week class for eight weeks teaching all the basic bead-weaving stitches.

Later in the year I will be running two one day workshops. One workshop will be to teach 
a Cellini Spiral project and the other is a "Caterpillar" necklace.

I used to run workshops in my home so teaching in a classroom as big and as well set up as this is wonderful. Teaching in attractive, colourful surroundings is all that much more enjoyable. 
Above is a long shot of the classroom and the nine students I have. Heaps of room for more people.

Another picture showing Yen and Julie hard at work concentrating. 

If you look at the board behind you will see other classes coming up and you can also follow details of the school through Pinterest.

If any Sydney-siders would like any further information on my classes you can contact:

The Sydney Jewellery School
301/30-40 Harcourt Parade, Rosebery NSW  Phone 0412 678 992






3 comments:

  1. Hello,Patrick:
    The classes look seriously fantastic,but more official,less cameral,than at home:-))
    I also started mine,here in Sweden,as there are six real fans of beading so far.This kind of beadweaving is not popular here,I know the only one,very talented person in Malmö,who makes similar jewelry pieces,but She's Hungarian Herself, by Her Family background.The Swedish also take beading,but I would say-the kind of macrame,with the use of the variety of natural materials-wire,ropes,glass,fabrics,ceramics,wood,metal elements-everything in rather minimalistic trends and conventions.I smile sometimes,calling that way of beading-'put the bead on the rope':-)) because in comparison to the beadweaving style and techniques we represent here,such compositions seem to be too much simple,but sophisticated and not without the specific taste.The 'saved' and clear,natural form is surely deeply rooted in the features of the Northern,Scandinavian region of the world.
    Nevertheless,I can see the growing interests in the knowledge of other beading techniques.
    Dear Patrick:teaching it is the very beautiful idea.It means sharing our knowledge and skills.
    But aren't You sometimes afraid,You'll be missing the creative silence and the unique,private climate of Your Home Workshop? I have got some little fears,that teaching others,repeatedly coming back to the basic techniques will take my 'Muse' from me away :-)
    Warm Hugs-Halinka-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi all,
    Have a great day.
    Jewellery designs

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great Patrick and I am sure the ladies and men (hopefully) will get a lot out of your classes and learn loads from you. I also teach classes in the basic stitches from my little studio on my front lawn in NZ - I can only fit 5 people at the most around my little table (the studio is only 5m x 3m) but this is quite nice and cosy. Still trying to educate New Zealanders that beading is a great craft to become involved in, unfortunately (for all these unsuspecting kiwis) Quilting and Scrapbooking are the dominant crafts here and people don't tend to get their thinking past those. Joanne Brown thinks you have similar issues in Australia, how do you get around these and encourage more people to take your classes? All the best Patrick for these classes - and - I look forward to seeing your piece in the Beadsmith challenge.

    ReplyDelete