Wednesday, November 13, 2013

My first Christmas Ornament.

A few mornings ago I thought I would have a try at making a Christmas ornament. I was in need of making something different for a change.

I have learnt a few things from doing the rick-rack designs and wanted to put the learning into this star.

I worked on the 'front' side of my star - image to your left - and was very happy with how it looked but overall I was disappointed. I felt the back had to look nice also and the very tips of the points didn't bling enough so I put it aside, not certain I would finish it or pull it apart.

I left it alone yesterday morning as I just wasn't into playing with it anymore. I spent the morning tutorial writing instead. This morning I woke and thought I would continue tutorial writing, got my computer ready, made my coffee and as I sat down I looked at the unfinished star.

I immediately wanted to play with it again, with an idea of what to do for the 'back' side. Needless to say what I intended to do and what I did do were completely different.

I covered the rivoli back with size 15/o seed beads only to decide I preferred it uncovered. I went ahead and surrounded the bezel back in 2mm crystals and made a smaller 'star' like shape emanating out from the crystal ring. As I placed the teardrop crystal on each star point I was also enhancing the 'front' as this teardrop could be seen both sides.

To give the 'front' star points more bling I added a Swarovski marguerite flower crystal to each point. That sure took care of the sparkle.

To your right is the 'back' of my star with a pale centre and the teardrop points. To the left is the 'front' of my star with a gold and white centre and the teardrops on the back can be seen here also.

Overall I am very happy with the results and glad I didn't pull it apart. Sometimes we need to leave things alone for awhile before we can move forward again. This is a perfect case of the benefit of being more patient and waiting to be re-inspired.

I am a little late for writing a tutorial for this in time for people to make for Christmas but it shall be written and ready for Christmas in July and definitely for Christmas 2014.


9 comments:

  1. Dear Patrick, your ornament looks great and very elegant. I really like reading your blog, because you allways tell us so much about the process of creating a piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello PrettyNett, I am very grateful for receiving your comment, many thanks. I am glad you like reading what I write and I have to say I enjoy sharing my journey here on my blog.
      It is nice to know people enjoy it.

      Cheers.....Patrick

      Delete
  2. Dear Patrick, I love you are growing and am also a fan of your blog n posts. Grats on design, perfect for Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Rachel, it is great to know others enjoy reading my blog also.

      Cheers....Patrick

      Delete
  3. I found your blog by chance and I have to admit that I am very happy, I feel less alone, another man who loves small beads like I do.
    You do a wonderful bead work, congratulations !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, and thank you for visiting my blog. I just had a look at your blog and lovely work. Are you on Facebook? I would love to connect if you are. My Facebook details are
      https://www.facebook.com/patrickduggandesigns
      I can introduce you to quite a few men who love beading like us. It would be nice to have you join us on Facebook.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your welcome :).
      I have never had time or the desire to discover the new social networks... I do not know if you saw, but I even launched a new blog with the aim of making discover "unknown" (of us) beadworkers in the form of interviews, to tighten a little disappeared links, I am an old school web man !
      But I wil follow with pleasure your work on this blog.
      Excuse me, I read better English than I write it. Have a good day !

      Delete
  4. Came across your blog by chance. All of your stars are gorgeous. You have a very keen eye, and I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi!,I love your writing so much! percentage we communicate more approximately your article on AOL? I need an expert in this area to resolve my problem. Maybe that is you! Having a look forward to peer you.
    jewelry repair
    acts retreat jewelry
    jewelry appraisals

    ReplyDelete